One of the top goals of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) is to purchase a dream for themselves and their families. Whether it’s a house-and-lot or condominium unit, OFWs will do everything to buy a home and secure their future. However, buying a house is not an easy feat. That’s why the Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF) launched the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program (POP) to help OFWs save and buy their dream home. If you’re an OFW or know someone who is, read on to learn more about the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program (POP).
In June 1978, the Philippine government launched the Home Development Mutual Fund (HDMF), or Pag-IBIG, to provide Filipinos with national savings and affordable house financing. The programs of Pag-IBIG Fund are open to all Filipinos, including those working or permanently living abroad. OFWs and Filipino immigrants can join the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program (POP) to grow their savings and qualify for a housing Loan. Thus, all Filipinos working, living, or permanently resident overseas are encouraged to open a POP Saving account.
What is the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program
The Pag-IBIG Overseas Program (POP) aims to help OFWs save and avail of a housing loan. POP is a Provident Savings Program from Pag-IBIG Fund, assuring the return of members’ Total Accumulated Savings (TAV). It consists of members’ total monthly contributions, the employer’s counterpart contributions (if applicable), and the dividend earned by the account. This program is open to all Filipinos working abroad as contract workers and immigrants or permanent residents of another country.
Under POP, OFWs can save a monthly contribution of at least US$ 20.00 and up to US $50.00. Eligible members can also borrow up to P20,000,000 through POP. It means the more you save, the higher the amount you can borrow for a housing loan. However, the loan amount depends on the member’s salary and capacity to pay. Once POP members fulfill a total of 12 monthly contributions, they may also apply for a Housing Loan, given they meet the following criteria:
- A member must be insurable and not over 65 years old at the time the loan matures
- A member should not have an outstanding Pag-IBIG Housing Loan, whether as a principal borrower or co-borrower
- A member should not have a Multi-Purpose Loan at the time of application for a housing loan
With the POP Savings program, OFWs can enjoy the following features:
- Government-guaranteed – ensure your savings are safe and will return
- Zero Withholding Tax – earn tax-free interest with your savings
- Competitive Interest Rate – POP offers a fixed interest rate of 7.5% per annum for Peso Savings, while US$ Savings earns an annual interest rate of 3%
- Housing Loan – eligible members can borrow up to P20,000,000 to purchase real estate, such as house-and-lot, townhouse, or condominium units.
- Convenient – grow your savings regardless of country of employment
Initially launched as a mandatory savings facility, the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program (POP) is now an option for OFWs. The program is open for Filipinos abroad who are contract workers, immigrants, or permanent residents of another country. If qualified to save in POP, below are the required monthly savings based on a member’s gross monthly income:
- US$ 1,000 and below = US$ 20.00
- Above US$ 1,000 to US$ 2,000 = US$ 40.00
- Above US$ 2,000 = US$ 50.00
Members can pay or deposit their monthly contributions in US$ or the equivalent amount in Philippine pesos based on the current exchange rate at the time of payment.
Whether former or dual citizens, all Filipinos working overseas can apply for POP Savings through their employers or the Virtual Pag-IBIG online portal. Then, fill out a Members Data Form (MDF) and pay the required monthly contributions based on your salary. OFWs may also apply for membership at the nearest Overseas Pag-IBIG Members Service Desk or any Pag-IBIG Fund branch office in the Philippines.
How to Apply for the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program
To apply for the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program (POP), follow the steps below:
Via Virtual Pag-IBIG (Online)
If you don’t have a Pag-IBIG MID Number, follow these steps:
- Visit the Virtual Pag-IBIG website via this link: https://www.pagibigfundservices.com/PubReg/NewReg_Page.aspx.
- To get your Pag-IBIG MID Number, fill out the required fields on the Online Membership Registration, including:
- Last Name
- First Name
- Middle Name (if applicable)
- Date of Birth
- Enter the Captcha code.
- Double-check the details you’ve entered and click the Submit button.
- On the Online Membership Registration form, fill out the required details, including:
- Member Info
- Other Info
- Member Category
- Employment History
- Review the details you entered and click the Submit Registration button.
- Copy your Registration Tracking Number (RTN) on the Successful Registration Page.
- Wait two (2) working days to verify your permanent Pag-IBIG ID Number via Virtual Pag-IBIG: https://www.pagibigfundservices.com/virtualpagibig/MIDInquiry.aspx.
- After varying your Pag-IBIG ID Number, pay the required monthly contribution for POP Savings.
Via Pag-IBIG Fund (On-Site in the Philippines or Overseas)
If you already have a Pag-IBIG MID Number, you can visit a Pag-IBIG Fund branch office in the Philippines to apply for POP Savings. For those abroad, visit the nearest Overseas Pag-IBIG Members Service Desk to open a POP Savings account. Then, pay the required monthly contributions for POP Savings through accredited collecting banks, remittance centers, or Pag-IBIG Fund offices in the Philippines or abroad.
How to Withdraw Pag-IBIG Overseas Program Savings
OFWs can withdraw their POP Savings given they meet the following conditions:
- 5 or 10 years membership maturity period
- Separation from service/work due to health reasons
- Retirement (compulsory or optional)
- Permanent Total Disability or Insanity
- Permanent Departure from the Philippines
- Optional Withdrawal
The processing period to refund POP Savings will take at least three (3) working days. If qualified to withdraw POP Savings, secure the following requirements:
- Application for Provident Benefit
- Original copy of POP passbook
- Special Power of Attorney (SPA), if applicable
Overall, the Pag-IBIG Overseas Program (POP) is a good savings facility for OFWs and Filipino immigrants who wish to invest their money and protect their future. In addition, opening a POP Savings account enables Filipinos abroad to avail of a housing loan, making it possible to purchase the home they have been dreaming of. In this program, members can withdraw their Total Accumulated Savings (TAV) at membership maturity.
The TAV is also withdrawable under reasonable grounds, such as retirement, death, separation from work due to health reasons, and permanent total disability or insanity. In short, the POP Savings will benefit many Filipinos, allowing them to realize their dream home and secure their future. Therefore, Filipinos abroad should take advantage of this program to enjoy its benefits.