OWWA offers a range of scholarships to dependents and beneficiaries of OFWs and one of them is the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP). As a summary, EDSP is a scholarship grant for qualified beneficiaries / dependents of active OWWA members who plan to enroll in a 4-5 year course in college or university. There is a financial assistance up to PHP 60,000 per school year.
- How to Apply OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (ODSP)
- How to Apply Skills for Employment Scholarship Program (SESP)
This scholarship is helpful to assist families of OFWs to get the education they need. Take note that the EDSP is only given to one family or dependent per active OWWA member. No other scholarship grants can be awarded to EDSP applicants. The EDSP qualifying test, as well as any post-secondary/vocational or undergraduate/college units, have never been taken before. Here we share more details about the requirements and qualifications of EDSP, how to apply, and what are the terms and conditions.
- What is EDSP – Education for Development Scholarship Program?
- What are the Qualifications for EDSP?
- What are the Requirements for EDSP?
- How to Apply for OWWA EDSP Program
- How to Apply for OWWA EDSP Scholarship Online
- OWWA EDSP Application Form
- Criteria for Selection
- Important Things to Remember
- Videos: OWWA EDSP Project
- Frequently Asked Questions
What is EDSP – Education for Development Scholarship Program?
The EDSP is a scholarship grant offered to eligible beneficiaries/dependents of active OWWA members who are among the top examinees on the OWWA pre-qualifying test administered by the Department of Science and Technology-Science Education Institute and who intend to enroll in a four to five year baccalaureate course at any of their preferred colleges/universities. It will be given in the form of financial assistance up to P60,000 per school year.
What are the Qualifications for EDSP?
The EDSP program is available to qualified dependents of existing OFW active OWWA members.
For incoming First year college:
- A member’s child who is an OFW with an active membership at the time of application
- Sibling of an involved member-OFW who is single or married but has no children at the time of application.
- Grade 12 graduating student who is under the age of 21 who has a General Weighted Average of 80% and is in the top 20% of the graduating class.
- Must pass the Department of Science and Technology-Science Education Institute (DOST-SEI) qualifying examination
- Must be a Filipino citizen
- Must not be a recipient of any scholarship award
- Must be in good health and of good moral character.
For Second to Fifth year college:
- Not more than 30 years old
- Child of a member-OFW with active membership at the time of application
- Sibling of a single or married but childless member-OFW with active membership at the time of application
- With General Weighted Average not lower than 85% or its equivalent
- Must be a Filipino Citizen
- Must not be a recipient of any scholarship award
- Must be in good health and with good moral character
What are the Requirements for EDSP?
- Accomplished Application Form (2 copies)
- 2×2 Recent and Identical Photos (2 copies)
- Proof of relationship to an OWWA member. Any of the following:
- Birth Certificate (issued by PSA) of applicant, if child of OFW (ORIGINAL)
- Birth Certificate (issued by PSA) of both applicant & OFW, if OFW’s brother/sister
- Certificate of No Marriage (CENOMAR of OFW) from PSA (proof of unmarried)
- For new first-year college students, fill out Form 137; for those already enrolled in college, fill out Transcript of Records or Certificate of Grades.
- Proof of OWWA membership. Any of the following:
- Official Receipt of OWWA Contribution
- OFW Verification Sheet issued by MPC
- Health Certificate (Form 2A)
- Certificate of good moral character issued by the principal/guidance counselor (Form 2B)
- Certification that applicant belongs to the upper 20% of the High School Graduating Class and that he has a GWA average of above 80% in his Grade 12 report card. (Form 2C)
- Applicant’s Certificate of not having taken post secondary or undergraduate/ college units and not a Recipient of any scholarship grant / has not taken the EDSP Qualifying Examination. (Form 2D)
- Sworn Statement that he/she has no pending application for resident immigrant status in any country and does not have dual citizenship signed by parent or legal guardians. (Form 2E)
- Copy of the Scholarship Agreement in its original form
How to Apply for OWWA EDSP Program
In case you are wondering how you can apply for the OWWA EDSP Program, please check the procedure below for a step-by-step guide:
- Download the Application Evaluation Form or go to the nearest OWWA office for the Application Form – https://owwa.gov.ph/images/downloads/Application%20Form%20Evaluation%20and%20Other%20Forms.pdf
- Complete all of the documentation specifications.
- Submit all documents through the regional office or online.
Alternative submission: Send Application Form, Evaluation Form and required documentation to Courier Services (LBC, j&T. JRS. Etc.)
- Wait for the call from OWWA if you are in the applicants slot.
- For more information, visit owwa.gov.ph
How to Apply for OWWA EDSP Scholarship Online
- Start the Application Process: Go to the OWWA EDSP online application portal at https://scholarship.owwa.gov.ph/.
- Choose EDSP Scholarship: Among the list of scholarships available, choose the EDSP scholarship option.
- Verify Qualifications: Check the boxes to make sure you are qualified.
- Registration: If you are a first-time user, register for an account. Click on the ‘Register’ link and fill out the necessary details which include your email, password, full name, and contact number. Click ‘Submit’ to finish the registration.
- Upload Required Documents: Scan the required documents mentioned in the previous sections and upload them. Ensure that the documents are clear and legible.
- Submit the Application: After checking all the details and ensuring all the required documents are uploaded, click ‘Submit’ to finalize your application.
- Confirmation: You will receive a confirmation email notifying that your application has been received. Make sure to save this for future reference.
- Wait for Updates: Wait for further instructions or updates from the OWWA regarding your application.
Please note that the processing time may vary depending on the volume of applications received. Be patient and regularly check your email for any updates from OWWA.
OWWA EDSP Application Form
In case you are wondering where you can get the form, you can download the OWWA EDSP scholarship Application form here –https://owwa.gov.ph/images/downloads/Application%20Form%20Evaluation%20and%20Other%20Forms.pdf
For Region 2 applicants – https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Xyumg_GljV9rzti4m846sjC-032FzpCQ
Take note that the EDSP application form is based on OWWA Region 2 office. You may coordinate with your local OWWA office for your specific region.
Criteria for Selection
All eligible applicants will be chosen and ranked based on their results in the scholarship qualifying test. The OWWA Scholarship Committee will choose and recommend the Scholars. The Administrator’s approval is final and irreversible.
Important Things to Remember
Below are some important things to know when you apply for this EDSP scholarship:
- Filling of application starts every June of each school year. Deadline for submission of application is every first week of August of each year or as prescribed by ROCS (Responsible Outgoing College Students) based on the scheduled qualifying exam conducted by DOST (Department of Science and Technology).
- An applicant must be 4th year high-school student and belongs to the graduating class at the time of the application.
- Application with incomplete documentary requirements will not be accepted.
- Applications are subject for review and further verification as to the documentary requirements submitted.
- Application approval only identifies applicants who are qualified to take the national competitive exam conducted by DOST (Department of Science and Technology).
- Scholarships are awarded through a voucher scheme, and they must be used within the time span specified on the vouchers.
- Availees are tested and measured on a daily basis.
- Scholarship awards are non-transferable.
- Excellent graduates will be honored and given suitable awards.
NOTE: You may contact your nearest OWWA regional office through their respective Facebook page or here: https://www.owwa.gov.ph/index.php/contact-us.
Videos: OWWA EDSP Project
Check out these videos below which share more information about what you can expect from the OWWA EDSP scholarship project. Please be guided accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some common questions and concerns OWWA EDSP applicants have:
1. What is the amount of financial assistance?
The amount of financial assistance is P60,000 per school year.
2. How can I get the application form?
The application can be downloaded at this link or you can get it from an OWWA regional office near you.
3. Can my brother or sister apply for the EDSP scholarship grant?
Yes. If you are a single OFW, your sibling can get the grant. They need to present their proof of relationship as part of the requirements.
4. Where do I submit my EDSP scholar application?
It is best to visit your regional / local OWWA office to guide you better as this is where you can find the scholarship grant information for your region.
The Department of Labor and Employment’s Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) is the lead government agency in charge of tasking, securing, and supporting the welfare and well-being of OFWs and their dependents. They have a number of scholarship projects that existing active members should take advantage of as they provide cash assistance to fund your child ore dependent’s education.
This EDSP program is suited for OFW dependents who expect to enroll or are already enrolled in any 4- or 5-year degree course at their university of choice are eligible for the program. Per academic year, the recipient will be entitled to a total of PHP 60,000. So again, please make sure you follow the requirements and application schedule.