To all overseas Filipino workers who are working in Vancouver, it is advised that you renew your OWWA membership and keep it active to take advantage of the benefits and projects offered by OWWA for its members. Especially in these challenging times, OWWA is a form of insurance for OFWs and the cost is only 30 CAD every 2 years. Please follow the guide below on how to keep your OWWA account active at the POLO-Vancouver office online.
OFWs should understand the value of their membership in the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA). It’s critical to renew your OWWA membership before it expires and becomes invalid. It not only assists you in obtaining OWWA compensation, but it also ensures your safety as an OFW should you require assistance. It’s important to make a transaction online due to the pandemic. In Vancouver and during these pandemic times, the process for OWWA registration is by sending the document requirements through email.
Take note that OFWs will be able to get the programs and services from OWWA after 3 months from the date of their OWWA enrollment so it is better to activate your membership the soonest time possible.
- Amount of Contribution
- Membership Validity
- How to Apply for OWWA Membership in Vancouver, Canada
- Important Reminders
- Video: Renewal of OWWA Membership in Vancouver
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 1. Can I directly go to the OWWA-Vancouver, Canada Office?
- 2. How much does the OWWA membership fee cost?
- 3. I work as an OFW in Canada, but outside of Vancouver. How can I renew my OWWA membership?
- 4. My application and documents were returned with compliance and deficiency notes attached. What does this mean?
- Contact Information
- Google Map Location
Amount of Contribution
The OWWA membership contribution shall be Thirty Canadian Dollars (CAD 30.00).
Membership is valid for two (2) years for each contribution, regardless of contract term, change of employer, jobsite, or recruitment agency. After that, OWWA membership must be renewed if proof of active labor is supplied.
Please be guided on the following requirements for you to renew your OWWA account in Vancouver.
- Copy of a VALID employment contract (or proof of existing employment)
- A copy of the passport page with the photo and personal data
- A copy of your current work permit and visa
- OWWA OFW Information Sheet completed
How to Apply for OWWA Membership in Vancouver, Canada
Here are the steps to keep your membership active as shared by POLO Vancouver.
Step 1: Email your OFW Information Sheet and complete documentary requirements to email@example.com
Step 2: For evaluation, the worker will receive a video call through their social media account.
Step 3: If the worker qualifies to activate their OWWA, they will be given advice on how to pay their OWWA membership fee, which is 30 Canadian Dollars (USD 25).
Step 4: The e-receipt will be sent to the applicants’ e-mail addresses.
Take note that the details above outlines the process of OWWA registration/renewal. The process may change in time if the current situation will be eased and people will be able to go out. But the best bet for you is to go through the procedure via email for your safety as well as everyone else’s safety.
Here are some important tips and reminders during the appointment or appearance date:
- Please double-check that your requirements are accurate and full. Requirements that are not full will not be handled.
- For more information, see the Vancouver, Canada POLO Facebook Page – https://www.facebook.com/POLOinVancouver/
- After three (3) months of membership, new OWWA members are entitled to participate in OWWA’s regular activities and services, as well as special programs. So please make sure to keep your OWWA account active the soonest time possible.
Video: Renewal of OWWA Membership in Vancouver
Check out this vlog of a Filipina caregiver based in Vancouver on how she applied for OWWA membership. Please be advised that she also mentions the process of how she was able to get an OEC as well as other procedures on how she landed a job in Canada. Check out the OWWA process at the 7:05 minute mark:
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some common questions and answers when you process your OWWA account membership at POLO-Vancouver.
1. Can I directly go to the OWWA-Vancouver, Canada Office?
No, walk-ins are not allowed in Vancouver, Canada. This is due to COVID-19 restrictions. Filipinos are advised to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to make a transaction.
2. How much does the OWWA membership fee cost?
The OWWA membership contribution is CAD 30.00.
3. I work as an OFW in Canada, but outside of Vancouver. How can I renew my OWWA membership?
You may print the application form from this URL (http://philcongen-toronto.com/consular/docs/ofwinformationsheet.pdf) and mail it to email@example.com with the documentary requirements and payment.
4. My application and documents were returned with compliance and deficiency notes attached. What does this mean?
This indicates if there are deficiencies in your previously submitted documents that need to be corrected or clarified. A compliance/deficiency letter is provided, which indicates the areas where the company should take action.
Please write COMPLIANCE in bold letters outside the letter pack and attach the compliance/deficiency note when resubmitting the compliance documents to ensure that they go straight to the Processing Officer in charge.
As an OFW based in Vancouver, please follow the guidelines currently put in place on how you can keep your OWWA membership active. You may also renew your OWWA by registering in the OWWA Mobile App.
Workers in Canada may also renew their OWWA membership by having their family members in the Philippines submit the document requirements to the nearest OWWA Regional Welfare office.
So as you can see, there are many options on how you can pay for your OWWA membership. It is advised that you keep it active so you can maintain the benefits and programs available for its members. The fee is very minimal when you compare it with the available projects especially in these times of crisis. We hope this tutorial will help you be aware of the procedure and how you can register in OWWA.
Address: World Trade Center Office Complex, Suite 601, 999 Canada Place, Vancouver, BC, V6C3E1
Telephone Number/s: OWWA – (+1) 604 641 1234, POLO – (+1) 604 767 3354
Email: OWWA: firstname.lastname@example.org, POLO: email@example.com
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/POLOinVancouver/
Google Map Location
Below is the map guide location of the POLO-OWWA office in Vancouver for your reference. This is also the location of the PCG Consulate Vancouver. But be advised again that the set-up for POLO renewal is via email transaction.